A colleague in the oil and gas industry was trying to be funny that day and was delivering another one of his patented jokes. I do not usually take notice because I find myself always busy with work but the story resonated differently so I came closer, and to his surprise, I started taking notes. This bull story somehow relates to business strategy and acumen. I want to remember it and now I am sharing it to you.
“Two bulls were walking side by side one day. The young one was full of enthusiasm. The older one, who was wiser, looked at other bull and shook its head. The two suddenly came across a herd of cows.
The young bull said, “Let’s charge down this hillside right now and have our wicked way with a couple of those cows.
The old bull replies, “No, how about we stroll gently down this hillside, so they won’t get scared and run away. Let us be friendly and know them better so we can all then have a good time. We can party with them all for a year…”
This story is a good analogy that highlights the importance of planning over impulse when making decisions.
A sure and steady pace get the goal. Instead of hastily doing what comes to mind first and being content with average return, the better way is to plan patiently, consider the risks, and schedule soundly to optimize the goal. I consider this a good demonstration of risk-based planning.
About the Author
Rufran C. Frago is the Founder of PM Solution Pro, a Calgary consulting, product, and training services firm focusing on project and business management solutions. He is passionate providing advice, mentorship, education and training through consultation, collaboration, and what he uniquely calls, student-led training.
BOOKS AUTHORED BY RUFRAN FRAGO
- Risk-based Management in the World of Threats and Opportunities: A Project Controls Perspective.ISBN 978-0-9947608-0-7.Canada
- Plan to Schedule, Schedule to Plan.ISBN 978-0-9947608-2-1.Canada
- How to Create a Good Quality P50 Risk-based Baseline Schedule.ISBN 978-0-9947608-1-4.Canada
- Schedule Quantitative Risk Analysis (Traditional Method).ISBN 978-0-9947608-3-8.Canada
- RISK, What are you? The Risk Management Poem: Children’s Book for all Professionals.ISBN 978-0-9947608-4-5 (Canada)